FREE GUIDED TOUR INFORMATION
Saturday 10th September
9:20-12:30 Free guided tour - THE HISTORICAL CENTER OF BELGRADE
A WALK THROUGH TIME AND CROSS ˗˗ CULTURAL COMMUNICATION
Meeting point: Faculty of Philosophy, Čika Ljubina street 18-20, plateau in front of the monument "Petar Petrović Njegoš" at 9.20
09:30 – 10:30 h Kalemegdan, Kalemegdan Park, entrance from Knez Mihailo street
10:30 – 11:00 h Bajrakli mosque, Gospodar Jevremova street 11
11:00 - 11:30 h Museum of Applied Art, Vuk Karadzic street 18
11:30 - 12:00 h Orthodox cathedral, Prince Sima Markovic street 3
12:00 - 12:30 h Residence of Princess Ljubica, Prince Sima Markovic street 8
Belgrade, Kalemegdan Park
The life at the ridge over the confluence of the Sava and the Danube has lasted for over two millenniums. Six centuries elapsed since Belgrade became the capital for the first time in its history. The core of today’s two million agglomerations is the Belgrade fortress and the Kalemegdan Park. They form a unique spatial entity with clearly visible remains of the Fortress divided into Upper and Lower Town, with two distinct styles – elements of medieval architecture combined with dominant baroque solutions typical for the 18th century. The Kalemegdan Park, Large and Little, developed in the area that once was the town field, are the place of rest and joy. The Belgrade Fortress and the Kalemegdan Park together represent a cultural monument of exceptional importance, the area where various sport, cultural and arts events take place, and are fun and joy for all generations of Belgraders and numerous visitors of the city.
Belgrade, Gospodar Jevremova street 11
Built around 1575, and is the only mosque in the city out of the 273 that had existed during the time of the Ottoman Empire's rule of Serbia.
During the occupation of Serbia by the Austrians (between 1717 and 1739), it was converted into a Roman Catholicchurch; but after the Ottomans retook Belgrade, it was returned to its original function.
Museum of Applied Art
Belgrade, Vuk Karadzic street 18
The Museum of Applied Art, founded in 1950, is specialized for collection, protection, studying, exhibiting and publishing of works of applied art. Museum collections consist from more than 32.000 objects made by Serbian and international artists. Among the most valuable is one made by artist Ljuba Ivanović that comprises from 3.000 artifacts that include jewelry, manuscripts and printed books, objects carved in wood, horn and mother-of-pearl, woodcut and painted icons, etc. Besides permanent exhibitions, museum organizes temporary shows and involves with various cultural events like Salon of Architecture, Children's Salon of Applied Art, Salon of Contemporary Applied Art and Triennial of Ceramics.
Belgrade, Prince Sima Markovic street 3
The Cathedral Church in Belgrade with its architecture, art work and rich treasury represents an impressive cultural monument. It is an invaluable historical monument connected to the fate of the fi rst half 19th Century Serbian part of Belgrade, which had been forming in area around the Cathedral Church, this way becoming its religious, management and cultural centre. During the times when new social and political occasions were slowly emerging The Cathedral Church became central support in independence fight from Turkish centralism to the final freedom from centuries longslavery.
Residence of Princess Ljubica
Belgrade, Prince Sima Markovic street 8
The Residence of Princess Ljubica is one of few buildings surviving from the first reign of Prince Miloš Obrenović. It was built between 1829 and 1831 according to the project and under the supervision of Hadži Nikola Živković, the official architect of the Prince. The Residence was intended as a luxurious court of the Serbian ruling dynasty, i.e. the Obrenovićs. However, as it was located in the immediate vicinity of the Ottoman Turks, Prince Miloš stayed there only occasionally. The Residence served its original purpose during the first reign of Prince Mihailo (1839–42), when it was used as the Prince's residence. After the expulsion of the Obrenovićs from Serbia (1842), over the following 130 years, the building was repeatedly adapted to house various state institutions. In the 1970s, the Belgrade city authorities decided to repurpose it as a museum, in accordance with its historical, artistic and heritage value. After a restoration and reconstruction, in 1980 the Residence of Princess Ljubica became a satellite museum of the Belgrade City Museum. The permanent exhibition of the Belgrade City Museum titled The Interiors of 19th-Century Homes in Belgrade was set up in September 1980.